We are approaching the end of 2018, and it’s been a pretty exciting year for smartphone lovers: the first phones with 90% screen space on the front, terrific cameras, and powerful battery lives. We’ve put down 5 of the hottest new phones released in 2018 that are impossible not to capture your attention.
1. Apple iPhone XS
Price: Starting from $999.
Greatest feature: Dual SIM support.
The world’s largest smartphone superpower Apple has just released the much-awaited iPhone XS, probably the biggest launch of 2018 in the industry. Unlike the previous S-models, iPhone XS has much newer functions than its predecessor iPhone X.
Now if you look at the iPhone X and iPhone XS you won’t really see that much of a difference between these two models, but it’s inside where all the improvements hide.
- Dual SIM cards support: Apple finally allows you to have two phone numbers in one smartphone.
- Improved Face ID recognition: Apple shocked the world a year ago when it introduced facial recognition, making it the world’s one of the (if not the most) secure phones in the world. Well, the Face ID in the new iPhone XS is faster, which helps you unlock your screen way faster.
- Speakers sound better: The speakers are more powerful and wider, and produce a better quality sound.
- Camera: The pixel sizes have been increased in order to make it more sensitive to light, for better low-light photography. Auto-focus also seems to have improved. This is all thanks to what Apple calls its newest innovation “Smart HDR”. The better sensor allows you to have great quality pictures whether in daylight or at night, and a more detailed image will surely interest amateur photographers, and not only. Massive improvements in the portrait mode, with a much better quality and a better blurring techniques.
- A12 Bionic chipset: This term won’t say too much to a lot of you, but in the simplest way we can put it: it’s one of the most powerful and fastest chipsets on a smartphone ever!
2. Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Price: Starting from $1,000.
Greatest feature: 1TB of storage.
Apple’s immediate rival Samsung dropped arguably the biggest Android phone of 2018 so far. It’s slightly larger than all the previous Galaxy Notes but with improved colors, huge battery life, and a gigantic 1 TB of storage.
- Storage: Samsung is the first company to make a 1TB storage smartphone. This ensures that you will never run out of space on your phone; it’s time to forget about deleting videos and games on your phone in order to take or download some new ones.
- Battery: This new Galaxy Note has a 3500mAh of powerful, all day battery life that goes on a single charge.
- Optimized for gaming: The chip is fast for playing 3D games and it also prevents the processor from overheating while playing a game.
- Camera: The new features enable it to take breathtaking shots. Galaxy Note 9 recognizes what you’re aiming at, optimizing the color settings such as exposure, white balance, etc. The secondary rare camera allows a 2x optical room, giving you a sharp snapshots for when you’re standing even too far away from the object.
3. Huawei P20 Pro
Price: Starting from $750.
Greatest feature: Amazing photography skills.
Huawei is another major competitor for the “best smartphone in the world” title and it’s not very hard to see why. It’s still cheaper than iPhone XS or Samsung Galaxy Note 9, but thanks to its fascinating features it has its own unique place in our top picks. Huawei P20 Pro brings world-class photography to another level, making it a top choice for photography lovers especially.
- Camera: With a 40 MP main sensor, 20 MP black and white and a 3x zoom 8 MP one (yep, it has 3 rear cameras), the camera array of Huawei P20 Pro is its biggest competitive priority in the market these days. The phone also has an incredible 24 MP front camera.
- Design: “Shiny” is the perfect word to describe the Huawei P20 Pro. It’s big and it’s also the first Huawei phone (along with the standard Huawei P20) to have a notch. It has two big plates of Gorilla Glass with a filling of polished aluminum, which looks more like steel.
- Battery: Huawei P20 Pro has a 4000mAh battery life (500mAH more than Samsung Galaxy Note 9), which usually lasts for 1.5-2 days.
- Video: This new Huawei can shoot video up to 4K resolution, but the software stabilization is at its best at 1080p shooting.
4. OnePlus 6
Price: Starting from $469.
Greatest feature: Modest price for amazing capabilities.
In May 2018, the OnePlus 6 surprised a lot of people with its great attributes and affordable price. Starting at $530, it has some of the features that are only found in phones that are a couple of hundreds of dollars more expensive. Thanks to a combination of hardware and software and an army of loyal customers of the company, it’s a great choice for literally anyone.
- Design: OnePlus 6 also has Gorilla Glass on the back with an aluminum frame around it. It also has a notch, but it’s about half the size of the “traditional” iPhone X notch, and it may actually disappear with a UI option.
- RAM: The OnePlus 6 comes with either 6 or 8 RAM memory. Keep in mind that most laptops nowadays use 8 RAM memory, which means OnePlus provides much faster access to apps.
- Dash charging: One of the most loved beloved features of OnePlus users is its super fast charging, and the newest OnePlus 6 model dash charging has never felt more magical — full day’s battery life with just 30 minutes of charging.
- Gaming mode: We know about the Do Not Disturb mode on previous OnePlus models and many other smartphones, but OnePlus 6 offers a special Gaming mode that won’t let you be alerted with annoying message notifications while beating your enemies in a super addictive game.
5. Honor 10
Price: Starting from $387.50.
Greatest feature: Probably the best phone for taking selfies 😀
Just like OnePlus 6, Honor 10 is another alternative for pricier and powerful smartphones, with qualities almost as astonishing as iPhone XS or Samsung Galaxy Note 9. Honor 10 has a super contemporary and eye-catching design. It’s attractive, it’s stylish, but what’s on in the inside is not less impressive.
- Selfies: Honor 10 takes selfies very seriously. With a 24 MP front camera Honor 10 allows you to take sharp, focussed and gorgeous selfies.
- Design: The phone has a different shades — Phantom Blue and Phantom Green — depending from where you’re looking at it.
- Performance: Honor 10 comes with 6 GB of RAM and a 128 internal storage, proving that it’s not only about the looks, but the capabilities as well. The audio performance of the device is also loud and very clear.